Sunday, April 4, 2010

mE

Part I:

I am so many things. It's impossible to narrow down just one word to describe me. I'm also a big contradiction as well. Some people might say that I've led an easy, simple life. After all, I spent most of it living comfortably. As a child i had lots of toys to play with, lots of tv shows, and videogames i've enjoyed. I've had pets my whole life that i've been able to love and nurture. My parents have been happily married for almost 26 years now, and i've lived in the same nice yet modest house since i was 4. I've had the typical "American Dream" type upbringing.

Some people might say i'm spoiled or high-maintenance, because I love designer labels, and have a ridiculously nice set-up of electronics in my decent-sized bedroom. Yes, I drive a spiffy convertible, and always carry Coach bags, and cant live without my iPhone or Playstation 3. But i really don't think that i'm that much better than somebody who drives a fuel-economy car and only has one TV in their house. I've worked very hard, and shopped very smart for the objects i own. Almost every single thing I own, I bought myself- my parents really only buy me food anymore. I shopped around for months and finally found my car, and bought it for half of it's total value, without taking out any loans. I buy my Coach items on ebay, on clearance at department stores, or in the outlet stores. And I save up for and search like crazy for discounts and price matches on my electronics.

I love my stuff! My room is like one big amalgamation of everything that is me. I'm a collector, of many different things. I love pretty things, shiny things, amusing things. I also love things that trigger my imagination, things that get me thinking, things that i can take care of and nurture, things that have bold colors, things that are elegant, things that are comfortable, and things that make me feel like a kid again.

I decided to do kind of a comic strip showing off a few of my favorite things (and i've got the song from "The Sound Of Music" stuck in my head...) And maybe some people will still think that I'm materialistic or whatever for using my stuff to define who I am. But i don't care. The things we own are merely a tangible, physical representation of parts of our personalities anyways.





-------------------------------------------------------

Part II:

This is from my darling Laura:
"Ashley and I met through our love of music at IUPUI. I can still remember meeting her in music theory class a couple years ago. It took us until the end of the semester to have our first conversation, and then it was about Johnny Depp and Pirates of the Caribbean of all things. The next thing I remember was how stunned both of us were to find each other in scriptwriting class the next semester. We both had no clue that we were new media majors on the same track until that day! Well, that funny “coincidence” became the foundation that lasting friendships are based on. Ashley is a true friend. She’s thoughtful and caring, with a little bit of fun craziness for good measure. I know that I can count on her to lend a hand, or watch a Coach bag ;), when I need help. She’s the type of girl that will surprise you with a hug just to make you smile. She’s ready and waiting to stand by you through anything, even if it means doing the most bizarre things you could ever imagine (Hey, we’re new media people. This is life for us- LOL.). When it comes down to it, Ashley is one of the best friends that I have had. I hope that friendship continues into the future, even when our IUPUI days are behind us. :)”

This is from one of my coworkers who works overnights, so i only ever see her for a few minutes early in the morning:
"Ashley is a very sweet girl. She always greets everyone with a smile on her face, even when she is tired or sick. Her friendly greeting is always nice to see after a long shift. She is always happy to hear when we get finished with everything, and even when we dont finish on time, she says "No worries! That's what Im here for!" She always tries to make everyone feel happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment